Central Australian Aviation Museum Inc.

Central Australian Aviation Museum Inc.

Founded in 1978, the Aviation Museum is on the original "Townsite" aerodrome tarmac area, from where E J Connellan commenced the air service between Alice Springs (N.T) and Wyndham (W.A.) in 1939. Incorporated as a volunteer organisation, CAAM Inc began with the restoration of Connellan's Sydney Williams hangar. Operation of this building, along with a number of exhibits, was handed to the Museums and Art Galleries (N.T.) Board in the mid 1980s, allowing CAAM Inc to concentrate on the development of the Bellman hangar, the acquisition of our C-47 and further exhibits

Address: 
Memorial Drive, Alice Springs NT 0870, Australia
Tel: 
+61 08 89532786
Fax: +61 08 89532786
Hours: 
9 AM to 5 PM weekdays 10 AM to 4 PM Weekends & holidays.
Admission: 
General admission free
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access, parking, public toilet. The Museum is a stop on the tourist town bus circuit which runs at regular times during the day.
Collection: 

As well as the memorial to Anderson and Hitchcock, tragic victims of the "Kookaburra" disaster, the collection includes the restored Wackett Trainer, Beech 18DS, Percival Proctor, deHavilland Dove, Auster J 1N, ES52 Glider, and the C-47 representing VH-EWE, the first aircraft to depart Darwin with survivors of cyclone "Tracy"

On display are also many Aircraft instruments, radios meteorological instruments and memorabilia. CAAM also maintains a large collection of aircraft manuals, books and photographs.

Share