Pilot Station & Maritime Museum

Pilot Station & Maritime Museum

The Pilot Station was est. in 1805, the oldest building on site was convict built in 1835 of blue stone rubble walls and convict handmade brick interior, this accommodated 4 pilots and their families and now houses the Maritime Museum, research centre & archives and the Sir Raymond Ferrall Gallery. The other dwellings house visitor accommodation and the Pilot Station crew.

Address: 
Pilot Station, Low Head, TAS
Tel: 
0363821143
Hours: 
8am-8pm 7 days
Admission: 
$3 Adults, $2 Pensioners and Students, School Groups-Donation.
Facilities: 
Brochure, guided tours, research centre and archive.
Collection: 
Maritime & communication memorabilia, diving suit & air pump, 9 lb cannon, whaling artifacts, items recovered from shipwrecks, signal flags, signal lanterns oil and electric, rope and knot display convict artefacts, depth sounders mechanical and electronic, steam engines marine type.
Share

Items

Wooden Nun Bouy

Hebe Reef Bouy

Creator:
Convict built Port Arthur
Description:
Huon Pine, elongated barrel, iron cage ball topmark, eye bolt at bottom end for chain and sinker.
Date:
1835-1960

Last of many nun & can Bouys used to mark the rocks and reefs of the Tamar River, evidence of building by convict coopers at Port Arthur.

Steam Engine

Ponrabbel II, Port Engine

Creator:
Ferguson Brothers, Port Glasgow
Description:
Double expansion steam engine
Date:
1920-1972

Port Engine from Ponrabbel II. Bucket dredge arrived from Scotland 1921 worked until 1972, Starboard engine on display at the Australian Maritime College, Launceston.

Diving Suit and Air Pump

Creator:
Siebe Gorman & Co London
Description:
Hard hat diving suit complete except for weight belt canvas suit, rubber wrist cuffs, copper helmet fitted with 2 way speaker (1940?)
Date:
1880-1970

The Port of Launceston employed their own salvage group for recovering lost cargos, wharf maintenance and the placing of explosives for harbour improvements.

Cat Boat

Trixie

Creator:
Ned Jack, Jacks Boatyard, Launceston 1923
Description:
Huon Pine, clinker built, dipping lug sail cat rigged (not jib) designed after similar boats on the Norfolk Broads in England.
Date:
1923-1970

One of 12 (maybe), built by Jack on order from Mr Perrin (Launceston businessman on return from WW1) all sailed at Lagoon Bay on the Tamar.

Log Books/Letter Book

Description:
Daily log books, Habourmaster's letter book, Secretary of Board letter books, tug boat logs, shipping logs, scrapbooks, cashbook, statistics.
Date:
1840-1980

A 17,000 card index and 12 filing cabinets of associated files currently being entered onto a computer.