Eric Thomas Galley Museum

Eric Thomas Galley Museum

Created by Mr. Eric Thomas. The main feature of the Gallery Museum is its Photographic collection dating from 1890's. It shows people and places on the west coast of Tasmania, with an extensive display on the mount Lyell diaster, which claimed 42 lives. Other displays include old lamps, silver china, coins, tools and hospital artefacts. Household items and clothing, right down to grandma's undies. There are 22 rooms to roam through with more to open in the future. Enjoy a cup of tea or coffee (small donation) while watching video's on the west coast.

Address: 
1-7 Driffield Street, Queenstown, TAS
Tel: 
0364711483
Hours: 
May - Sept 10am-5pm Mon-Fri, 1pm-5pm Sat, Sun: Oct-Apr 9.30am -6pm Mon-Fri, 12.30-6pm Sat & Sun
Admission: 
Adults $4, Pensioners $3, Students $2.50, Tour Groups $2.50, Family $10.00 (2 Adults and 2 children)
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access to ground floor and toilets, tea and coffee, video presentation.
Collection: 
Over 900 photographs plus artefacts. A 1912 mine disaster display. Early days of Mt Lyell and Queenstown, Zeehan, Strahan, Rosebery, Gormanston. Memorabilia on household goods, Mt Lyell, hospitals, lodge, medical, telephones, war, china and minerals. Original railway survey, building section plans, tickets etc.
Share

Items

Survey Instrument

Theodolite

Creator:
None visible
Description:
This Theodolite originally from the Western Mine, Zeehan. This type of instrument was used during the construction of the mines and associated installations and earthworks
Date:
Circa 1900
Item Id Number:
ETM 1996010

Eric Thomas acquired the theodolite in the late 1920's. He bought it to Queenstown when he moved there in 1932 and placed it in the Galley Museum when he opened displays there in 1972-3.

Kerosene Flare (light, torch)

Creator:
unknown
Description:
Wooden handle with V shaped bracket attached, holding cylinder for kerosene with screw bung to fill cylinder and wick at top
Date:
circa 1900
Item Id Number:
ETM 1996 008

This flare was used by the Mt Bischoff Band around the early 1900's. The flares were carried during night performances or 2-3 would be placed around the band rotunda.

Sea Chest

Unknown

Description:
Large black sea chest with metal clasps. Oblong in shape with rounded lid attached with metal hinges. Dome lid had 3 pieces of board fitted in top forming 3 sections.
Date:
pre 1900

Arrived at Triall Harbour by ship, left at Triall Harbour Hotel and forwarded to a Mr Brown. Eric Thomas acquired the chest in the 1960's - it came from England.

Safety Helmet

Description:
White plastic coated steel helmet
Date:
1960's
Item Id Number:
ETM 1996 006

At the last firing at the West Lyell Open Cut the then GM Mr Geoff Hudspeth placed his safety helmet (hard hat) on a ledge near where the firing took place. The hat disappeared but was found later in the day

Display

Mt Lyell Disaster 1912 - display

Creator:
Photographs Eric Thomas, Resuscitator - Made in Germany
Description:
80 - 90 photographs on the mine and people in the disaster, including; letter, certificates, maps and poems, and resuscitator
Item Id Number:
ETM 1996 009

In October 1912, 42 men lost their lives when the pump house caught alight and many were entombed. The last bodies bought out in March 1913.