Runnymede House

Runnymede House

Runnymede an 1840's sandstone Regency villa surrounded by elegant lawns and gardens, focuses on aspects of Southern Tasmania's history. Today, as a house museum, it makes a strong statement about domestic life in the colony in the 1860's. It depicts the home environment of successful business and professional people, rather than that of the very rich. Through the three families who lived there over 120 years, Runnymede has close links with widely separate aspects of the colony's history. First, Scottish-born lawyer Robert Pitcairn, who played a part in the demise of convict transportation, then the island's first Anglican Bishop, Francis Russell Nixon, and finally the successful master mariners and whalers, Captains Charles and James Bayley. Their descendants occupied Runnymede until 1963.

Address: 
61 Bay Road, New Town, Hobart, TAS
Tel: 
0362781269
Hours: 
Monday - Sunday 10:00am - 4:30pm, Saturday and Sunday 12:00pm - 4:30pm.
Admission: 
Adults $7.70, Families $15.40, Pensioner, Seniors Card holders and Students $5.50
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access, shop, brochure, guided tours
Collection: 
Furnished in the style of the mid-19th Century, Runnymede's special strength is the extent of the original furniture and furnishings it has been able to retain. Most belonged to the Bayley families and their descendants (1864-1963), but some can be traced to Bishop Nixon (resident 1850-1862), and a small number to the original owner, Robert Pitcairn (resident 1840-1850). All rooms are fully furnished, creating an intimate, still lived-in ambience. The collection includes a number of rare and important Tasmanian items, some of convict origin and others the work of early free tradesmen. Some fine imported items result from the wide-ranging voyages of Bayley sailing ships. A small but significant scrimshaw collection demonstrates Runnymede's links with the whaling trade in its boom years. Externally, the historic garden, with plantings dating back to the 1850's, complements the house. A small gallery provides additional interpretation.
Share

Items

Collection of Whale Pots

Try pots

Try pots
Description:
Three whaling try pots, two large and one smaller oval pot located on a bed of riverstone near the stables at Runnymede
Item Id Number:
RDE: 1998: 40

Two whalepots belonged to Capt. Charles Bayley and Capt. James Bayley, Master Mariners. The Bayley brothers had a large number of whaling and trading ships under their command.

Painting

View of New Town Bay

View of New Town Bay
Creator:
G.T.W Boyes
Description:
Painting of New Town Bay, Hobart (oil on mill-board) by G.T.W Boyes, circa 1847. Painting shows Runnymede left hand corner of painting and St John's Church and New Town Park.
Date:
C 1847

Painting given to Hally & Emma by P. Boyes, grandaugher of G.T.W Boyes.

Crazy Patchwork Quilt

Creator:
Unknown
Description:
Table size crazy patchwork quilt worked on fabrics such as plush sateen and brocade. Fabric cut into haphazard shaped pieces joined together in jigsaw fashion to a background fabric. Ornate decoration embellished with herringbone and feather stitch with border of red velvet.
Item Id Number:
RDF Register No.23

Donated to Runnymede by Ms E. Dumaresq 1967

Armchairs

Pair of Cantonese export armchairs

Pair of Cantonese export armchairs
Creator:
unknown
Description:
Pair of lacquered bamboo fretwork back, armchairs of western Chinoiserie form with soft cane seats
Date:
Mid 19th Century
Item Id Number:
RDE:1999:78 & 79

Purchased by Captain. C. Bayley mid 19th Century and used at Runnymede, New Town, Hobart, home of the Bayley family

Breakfront Bookcase

Creator:
unknown
Description:
Cedar Breakfront Bookcase, upper cabinet with four glazed doors, set between four pilasters with carved capital supports below a cornice and cross-banded frieze. Lower cabinet has five panelled cupboard doors with beaded bolection mouldings
Date:
C.1845
Item Id Number:
RDE Register No.117