Rural Life

The Kyneton Museum collection is housed in a group of buildings, the most substantial of which was built in 1856 from local bluestone for the infant Bank of New South Wales. The branch was opened to service miners of the region's goldfields. Original outbuildings include kitchens, celler and stables, and these have been augmented by various outbuildings including an original settlers cottage which was relocated here in 1970. The outbuildings house the extensive agricultural display, whilst the kitchen and laundry show authentic household utensils. An original settler's cottage 'Theaden' is...
The museum is administered by the City of Wanneroo and has displays of local interest; Natural History of the area, Aboriginal culture and European settlements. The collection is housed in the Gloucester Lodge, a heritage listed building. The lodge was built in 1933 by 'sustenance' workers initially to service the swimming pool. In October 1934, the then Duke of Gloucester, Prince Henry, stayed one night and the building was later renamed Gloucester Lodge. It became a popular hostel for holiday makers, in particular honeymooners. During 1942 to 1945, it was closed to the public and used as...
Local shire history from the period of the shire's establishment. Previous to that the general pastoral history of the area is collected including a comprehensive base history. The emphasis is agricultural and social and includes the four other small towns which existed in the area. We are starting to set up a virtual identity by making our library available over the internetStrengths are local community archives and objects collected locally. A new focus is on Australian Windmills and about 30 have been collected, with 9 so far put on display and a substantial archive commenced.
Displays of artefacts, buildings and machinery depicting the early history of Wagin from 1840. We have 25 original and replica buildings, artefacts plus an extensive machinery display. Winner of the Heartlands Tourism Award for 2003 and 2003 and finalist in Community of the Year 2003. Totally volunteer driven.The museum covers 2 acres and is a detailed picture of everyday life in the area around the time the early settlers first arrived circa 1840 until 1920. The collection consists of 5,000 items and 1,500 photographs.

The Village consists of the Original Bank, Schoolhouse, Quarantine...
The museum complex comprises four main buildings, an entrance and parcels office circa 1923; signal box with 95 levers circa 1913; ladies and men's waiting rooms circa 1917; and a refreshment room and bar circa 1923 with bar circa 1906. Main collection areas are the railway history of the Merredin area; Merredin's social, agricultural, mining and war (1939-45) history; and a large doll collection. Garden surrounds include a waterfall (the only one between Perth and Adelaide); fish ponds where children are encouraged to feed fish; and an overhead water tank from which steam engines were...
Situated in the main street of Wyalkatchem, the main museum building is a 1936 Wheat Bin. Bulk handling of wheat originated in the Shire of Wyalkatchem and the wheat bin is the oldest in preservation and is a museum piece on its own. Most items have been restored and are still operational. Some interesting "as is" items are also on display. A second shed, partly built from materials recycled from a demolished Wheat bin holds a 40 restored tractor collection. The yard also has a variety of equipment. The domestic collection, "The School House Museum" is in the process of re-organisation and...
The Museum is a branch of the Western Australian Museum. It is housed in a modern building dominated by a massive mining headframe attached to an old hotel - all within botanical gardens - containing genuine and replica buildings showing aspects of goldfields life. The exhibitions change regularly and include travelling displays from across Australia. The emphasis is on the period of the gold rush (1893) and its effect on the region's social structure and ecology. Other aspects are included such as the presence of the pastoral and sandalwood industries. The gold vault with the priceless...
Agricultural past displayed on modern working farm. Attractions include an animal nursery, picnic area and landcare farm drive trail, homestead built in 1850 and 1890s Oregon stable complex that houses our Clydesdale horses. The farm buildings are still in use. There are over 400 museum pieces on display including fifteen working tractors.260 items of restored agricultural machinery plus a homestead with over 200 items. Agricultural machinery collection, working farm, landcare education centre and farm drive trail, animal interaction, working Clydesdales.
Built C1852 as part of Convict Hiring Depot, later extended for use by Resident Magistrate. Taken over in 1902 by the State Health Department and included in the hospital complex until 1963. Vacant until 1969 when restored by the York Society for establishment of the museum.The development of York from 1831, including surrounding area. Reflects changes in York society and lifestyle since settlement. Large photographic collection.
Housed in an old building that has been extended. We have a small Museum which embraces a costume collection of c 2,000 pieces, an art collection of c 200 pieces, a huge photograph collection and a library. All of these are focused on Western Australian history and are run and maintained by volunteers of various trained expertise.Historic costumes and all related account remain including sewing machines, irons act. Photographs. Paintings and drawings.
The Kojonup Historical Society have been given the responsibility of two major historical buildings in Kojonup. The military barracks, built by the 51st regiment in 1845 as a military outpost, is now a museum featuring the building's past as the outpost, a school and a private residence. Elverd Cottage is a restored Pensioner Guard Cottage. One of a very few still featuring many of its original structures.The Kojonup Historical society also have a large collection of early photos, research material and over 1,000 objects ranging from household to farm machinery. A military room in the...
Russ Cottage is a typical Yeoman's residence built on the banks of the Irwin River by Titus Russ in 1868-70 from local limestone. The cottage consists of four rooms with verandahs all around, and is furnished in the style of the early farming families with gifts from local residents. The sitting room features a portable organ which arrived in the Swan Colony with the Dent family on the "Marquis of Anglesea" on the 23/8/1829, and an octagonal table once owned by the Russ family is the centrepiece. Framed photographs of pioneer family members adorn the walls.

The kitchen features a pine dresser...
The museum is housed in a large modern brick building in the township of Serpentine, 55kms south of Perth. The museum's aim is to preserve our rural past for future generations. Some of our tractors are used for demonstrations at field days. Bus tours and school groups are encouraged to visit.The collection contains 58 Tractors, most in very good condition and working order, including a very rare M.A.N diesel tractor. Also on display are restored stationary engines, saws, pumps and various other farm items.
Onslow Museum is housed in The Old Goods Shed which was transported over by Camel Train from the Old Town of Onslow in 1925. As it is an Historical Building it has been classified by the National Trust. Many larger items, such as the train and carriage used in transport of goods from the jetty, are on The wool ramps adjacent to the building.Artifacts relating to the pioneering days of the Onslow and surrounding Ashburton/ Pilbara district, plus a collection of photographs.
Whiteman Park is a large conservation and leisure reserve, and also the home of the Whiteman Collection. An exhibition "Before Whiteman was a Park" tells of the land which has become Whiteman Park, its natural and cultural values and one of the last private owners of the land, Lew Whitemand, whose love for the place has become his lasting legacy. Some of the largest waggons and agricultural machines are diplayed under open shelters.Over 4000 objects from the private collection of the late Lew Whiteman have been vestd in Whiteman Park. The collection contributes to the park's transport...
The Museum is housed in the Old Police Station, Prison and Courthouse complex. The building was erected in 1870, with extensions being completed in 1873. The original building comprised a court room, police station, cell block and living quarters, and was built from locally-quarried limestone; the walls are some 450mm thick, constructed in the coarse random rubble style. The roof, which was originally wooden shingle, has been replaced by corrugated iron. A sample of the original shingles is displayed in the exhibition.

The Irwin District Historical Society have another museum located at Russ...
The museum is situated within Manning Park, a significant public garden area south of Perth. The homestead was built in 1905 and was the residence of Azelia Lay until her death in 1954. The museum represents the cultural and historical heritage of the City of Cockburn, comprising 76,000 residents and focuses on a family experience in conjunction with the open park area. A heritage trail leads from the museum to three lookout points commanding magnificent views of Cockburn and the Indian Ocean.The museum has a large photographic collection. The collection is specific to the City of Cockburn.
The J S Battye of West Australian History is part of the State Library of Western Australia. The Battye Library, as it is more commonly known, has prime responsibility for collecting and preserving published and original materials of relevance to Western Australia. It holds the most comprehensive collection of Western Australian documentary heritage materials in the world.The collections of the Battye Library include Private Archives which holds original papers documenting the concerns and activities of Western Australia's private sector; the Pictorial collection containing approximately...
The building is the first permanent Courthouse in the Eastern Goldfields. It is part of the block of government buildings which is comprised of the Courthouse, Mining Registrar Offices and residences, Post Office and Residences. Construction commenced in 1892. The foundations are of local stone cemented together with mud. The walls are of locally made mud bricks.
The primary purpose of the Brookton Old Police Station Museum is to provide a place to preserve and care for the District's history while enabling the local community and visitors to the district to learn of/from the past. The Brookton and District Historical Society manages the Museum and Archives.The collection focuses on items of local significance. There are approximately 1000 museum objects and up to 2000 archival records and photographs. The strength of the collection is the extensive local archival records of places, people and events, much of it supported by photographs. The...

Pages