Mineralogy

Housed in our building are Historical records, photographs and memorabilia of our town and district from early settlement until present day.Photographs, WWII memorabilia, local community historical records, hand sewn articles from 1890 era, local art, local hospital memorabilia. Sporting achievements, telephone exchange and old telephones, plus more.

Acland was the last underground coal mine on the Darling Downs of Queensland and the last in Australia to work under these conditions, the only one to be intact from a working colliery. Guided tours show how and why items were used, the history and make-up of coal.Eight buildings and associated machinery. All items used by coal miners at the Acland Colliery (1913-1984). Hand Borers used 1913 to 1956 - Coal Cutter, Loader, Loco's, Crusher, Winch and drum used 1956 to 1984. Coal mining lights from Tallow to modern electric, Gas Testing - Safety Lamp, Drager, Anemometer, Sling Hygrometer, Books...
The Village features original 19th Century buildings and a War Museum with a collection of memorabilia. The Shell House contains one of the largest privately owned collections of shells in Australia. The Village was established to collect and preserve memorabilia, photographs, narratives and recollections of residents of the area.
The Crystal Caves is an adventure museum featuring crystallised mineral specimens and fossils from around the world. The Museum is built like a cave. Visitors wear a helmet with a light attached, and traverse passages and "tunnels" which are highlighted by special filtered lights. The result is a spectacular array of colour gleaming from the exhibits - a mineralogical museum with a difference, the most spectacular collection in Australia!700 mineral specimens.
A well presented display of the history of Bundaberg and district and its people. Sectionalised into agriculture, industry, commerce, home life, recreation and hobbies. Situated in a Botanic garden complex with a kiosk and other Museums nearby.Estimated 20,000 plus items and photographs. Articles related to everyday living of people of Bundaberg and District; Aboriginal and Islanders artefacts, shells, stuffed birds, files of written information, newspaper cuttings, communication and photographic history.
The Roma Bungil Cultural Community Centre is a modern, multifunctional complex built by the Roma Town and Bungil Shire Councils. A major feature situated in the foyer is an impressive three-dimensional clay mural, which was created by local artists. It depicts the history and development of Roma and district. Also in the foyer is a rock display and a mini gas rig model. An arts/craft room provides a large carpeted display area featuring a hanging patchwork quilt, photographs and history of Roma. The Centre also houses the administration offices of the Council and Library, an auditorium...
The Morven Historical Museum is housed in three buildings. A slab hut is used for machinery and hardware and such larger articles as an old manual wool press and stores a miscellaneous collection of old books and photographs, and local artefacts. The second building features a unique collection of finally crafted miniature buildings that were to be found in Morven in the early 1900's. Displayed in the third building is the Davey Packman working steam engine. These buildings are typical of many early Australian settlements and together depict the social history of Morven in this bygone era....
The Cooktown Museum is a museum of maritime history with a focus on Cape York/Torres Strait Islands and the surrounding regions. The museum's collection is a tribute to seafaring men who brought civilisation to the Far North. The pioneering history, the gold rush, early cyclones, early discovery, shipping and Chinese migration are just some of the themes depicted in the museum's collection.The collection consists of over 300 photographs and newspaper cuttings; 600 marine specimens including a shell collection; 11 model ships; 5 anchors; 2 gold skips; 8 canoes and other maritime memorabilia.
Built in the 1890's Carbethon was moved from Haden to Crow's Nest and opened as a folk museum in 1979. Historic house 'Carbethon' is the centrepiece, featuring local history and agricultural items and situated in a pioneer village of fifteen buildings. Buildings in the complex include a working printery, wireless shop, butcher's shop, blacksmith's shop, machinery shed, photographer's studio, church, slab huts, and a one teacher replica school. Other displays include Aboriginal artefacts, a native beehive and an Aboriginal honey tree.Items and history of lifestyle from early settlement (1870'...
The museum comprises a museum building, cottage, lock-up and an extensive display of outside machinery.200 items of outside machinery
This large and varied collection of items and memorabilia which was started in 1939 was made available to the public when the museum opened in 1972. Most items have been collected from the local area and Queensland. A display of arms included knives, swords, bayonets and rifles. A helmet collection has examples from the armed forces, the police and the fire brigade. Other features include local history material, blacksmith's tools and motorcycles. There are items of interest for all ages.
Located in the main street adjacent to closed ANZ Bank, Café and B&B, the museum is housed in five buildings which contain a varied collection of items and memorabilia depicting life and activities from the surrounding shire area. The main building contains a reconstructed general store and barber shop, and rooms have been outfitted with furniture depicting a parlour and bedroom from the 1920s. A slab shed, built with materials from local properties, holds mining and agricultural equipment. Many exhibits depict rural life from earlier times, including examples of fencing, a horse works and...
The museum building was formerly a Scared Heart Convent of the Sisters of Mercy; two story timber 15mts x 25mts, internal walls are stained with tongue and groove crow's ash (1946). Yarraman Railway Station (1913) and Arthur Brown's butcher shop (c.1920). The grounds contain a scrub/rainforest area, farm machinery, plant shade house, water wise garden and unique water tank system from convent days. The total area is 1.2 hectares.The collection started in October 1997. Yarraman Heritage Centre has a wide range of community involvement, manly because of the necessity to attract large fundings...
The museum's collection was commenced by the late Arther Jeffrey in 1972 and is housed in two buildings. The original museum has been moved to its present site and restored to hold memorabilia of early shire life. The main building houses Maritime and Endeavour displays, aboriginal artefacts, a photographic display and the reading room. Also on display are natural history objects including Sir Joseph Banks' plant studies, as well as coral, shell, fossil and rock collections .Significant items in the collection include the Endeavour voyage book, objects relating to Banks and Solander and their...
The museum is housed in a 100yr old weatherboard home, school and display sheds. A highlight is one of only two remaining Stiger Vortex Rain Guns (used in the 1902 drought). An annual film screen honours Charles and Elsa Chauvel, and the museums has a photo display taken from all of their films.Domestic artefacts and farm machinery, plus typical 1-Room School. Collection of photographs by Charles and Elsa Chauvel (Australian movie pioneers)
The Museum is the only one of its kind which attempts to display the history and banking memorabilia of all banks, building societies and credit unions. A private museum established 9 December 1988, owned and operated by Michael P. Vort-Ronald, numismatic writer and publisher. Large collections of moneyboxes, passbooks, equipment, signage, gems, minerals, fossils, meteorites and special ultraviolet mineral displays are included in the collection, which covers the history of Australian currency with particular emphasis on the last century. There are collections of notes and coins not...
Housed in the former Moonta Mines School is a collection of historical artefacts relating to the Cornish heritage and settlement of the district. Particular emphasis is placed on copper mining. Numerous records, photographs and microfilm are also held. The Moonta National Trust also operates an historic miner's cottage nearby, and an interpretive tourist railway through the former mine site.20,000 items, 5,000 photographs
A local and social history museum depicting the heritage of Wallaroo. Main themes: copper mining and smelting period (1861-1923) History of the port of Wallaroo since 1861. General local history - sport, entertainment, industry, civic affairs and religion. Located in the first post office building 1865-1910. Has been Museum building since 1975.Over 3,000 exhibits depict the Industrial, Mining, Smelting, Maritime and Social History of the port of Wallaroo. The Museum is also home to the former Tipara Reef Lighthouse (1877-1996) Re-located to the Museum in 2001.
The Museum's collections focus on: the 1894 settler's cottage; the 1910 Congregational church and manse; the AMP Society Land Development; the Gold Escort Route of 1852; and the Wild Dog Fence which saved the fledgling colony of South Australia from failing.Approximately 1,000 items including a feral dog preserved by taxidermist, as well as photographs.
This privately owned tourist complex contains an extensive museum housed in 5 buildings with over 100 metres of glass show cases. Over 100 collection are featured, including displays of antiques, gemstones, butterflies, clocks, weapons, cameras, coins, birds eggs, badges, irons, bottles, fossils and shells. A feature of the complex is a display of local reptiles.120 varied collections

Pages