Maritime and Naval History

The Dubbo Military Museum is a private collection of artefacts from the World War II era. It's collection includes planes, tanks, guns, vehicles, uniforms and documents.50 major exhibits
Built in 1895, this two-storey former hotel opened as a museum in 1971. There are 22 rooms housing turn of the century fashions, furnishing and artefacts. Features include a kitchen; laundry; slab school house and historic machinery displayed in the grounds.600 varied items; 1 ha. machinery items
The building was formerly the local tourist information centre. Steel frame with brick walls and asbestos sheeting roof. It is situated off the main street and on the bank of the Richmond River. The town library, swimming pool and new tourist facility are adjacent. Just under 18,000 visitors for 1998, mostly from outside the area.The La Balsas raft is the main feature. The collection includes models of naval ships, sailing vessels, merchant shipping and many associated photographs, paintings, uniforms and other militaria.
The collection housed the Royal Australian Navy's presentations, relics and trophies, in buildings originally designed to warehouse armaments and ammunition. These are located on an island at the extreme western end of Sydney Harbour. The buildings date from 1865. Items from the collection are lent to most major maritime and military museums and throughout the Royal Australian Navy.Over 750,000 items
A Beau Geste-style fortress structure houses this social history museum. Its emphasis is on military history, with exhibits ranging from a Japanese tank to miniature soldiers. The Museum also features a historic comics section, stamps, hundreds of cameras, rare musical instruments and other items of general and Australian historical interest.
A small museum with a very comprehensive display of historical photos relevant to Yamba's history, some working models (eg. the lighthouse, the railway which was used to build Yamba's breakwater walls), some artefacts and a large quantity of reading material (newspaper cuttings, historical books etc).850 historical artefacts; 300 books; over 1,000 photographs, plus ten photograph albums and ten volumes of newspaper cuttings
A community based non-profit organisation dedicated to the preservation and operation of Australia's, and particularly Sydney's, maritime heritage. It is funded through donations, membership, charter charges and four art unions per year. The museums 1500 membership restore, operate and maintain the museums fleet of heritage vessels.40,000 items (including 75 heritage boats and ships and including 25,000 photographs) and maritime artefacts.
The building, with its interior sculptures and bas relief panels by Raynor Hoff, commemorates the courage and sacrifices of those who fought in World War I. Exhibition showcases within the Memorial show various aspects of the life of servicemen and women in times of war. A permanent ongoing photographic exhibition depicts the nine conflicts in which Australians participated between 1885 and 1972.
The front building of the Museum was originally used as a house dating from 1842. It is the only remaining house building in the CBD area of Port Macquarie from that era.
All artefacts on display show development from convict beginnings to early settlement from the 1840s. Displays at the museum include; a 'street of shops' depicting life as it was in the 1800s and a prize-winning costume collection. The museum has been in operation for over 40 years and is the winner of awards for best museum.More than 20,000 items collected over a period of 40 years. Artefacts from all aspects of Port...
Museum is part of the Visitors Centre. Montague Island is 7km (5.7 Nautical Miles) off Narooma, and is the largest inshore island on the NSW coast. It is now a nature reserve under control of NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service and is home to the largest sea bird/penguin colonies also possibly the most northerly bull seal "haul out" site of the NSW coast. Montague Island was discovered by the convict transport ship "Surprise" in 1790 and named after George Montague Dunk, Earl of Halifax. Because of its location and importance to shipping, the Government of the day decided to construct a...
This museum is part Holy Trinity, Garrison Church the first military settlement with maps. The military section shows memorabilia from Boer War to Gulf War inclusive.Sydney's early history photos of people and places. Inclusive is first Prime Minister who attended this hall when it was a Parish School, as well as Cedric Immanuel prints, paintings of Rocks, maps of early Sydney, medal, WW2 uniforms, etc.
Situated on Blowhole Point adjacent to the Visitors centre this beautifully restored cottage operates as a maritime and regional museum and is run by the Kiama and District Historical Society.Detailed pictorial records of Kiama's colourful past can be seen including cedar getters, the basalt quarrymen and shipping history.
Military memorabilia collection lecture room with range of historical information magazines, books, videos, photos. Opened November 11th 2001. Growing fast.Memorabilia of Australian involvement in all Military actions. Historical documents and publications, documentary videos. Growing fast.
The Museum building dates back to C1871 when James Campbell Duff built a general store. The building is the oldest commercial premises in Wingham.Local History as seen in photos, farm equipment, hospital equipment, home life, education, good living, music and wartime. Also a collection of Local and Family History Archives.
The Museum of the Riverina has two impressive sites. The first is situated in the former Historic Council Chambers, built in 1881, and converted in 1998 to function as a museum facility. This site is used as a meeting venue - in the former chamber - and as a venue for hosting a regular program of travelling exhibitions.

The second site, adjacent to the Botanic Gardens, was formerly run by the Wagga Wagga & District Historical Society, and opened in 1965. The site was renovated and reopened in September 2001 and contains internal exhibitions and a number of outbuildings. The newly renovated...
Yamba's museum display has often been described by visitors as the finest small historical collection on Australia's east coast. Sited close to the towns centre on a sealed road which leads to one of the area's most beautiful Pacific Ocean beaches, the museum is located in spacious grounds with ample off-street parking. Directly opposite in a well-maintained park is a fully restored 150 year flagstaff, which once controlled the entry and exit of all ships into the nearby Clarence River, the biggest single waterway on the East Coast. The flagstaff surrounds are the focal point fro many local...
Collection of photographs of early fishing, timber and shipping industries in the area. Files of early pioneer families and local history. Early timber-working tools and domestic artefacts.1910 Heritage listed post office building; artefacts pertaining to the area. Emphasis on collecting old photographs and local history research
The Cape Byron Trust manages the Cape Byron Headland Reserve, a NPWS State Recreation Area. This reserve contains a 100-year-old lighthouse and lightkeepers' cottages, an Aboriginal midden site over 1000 years old and significant strands of littoral rainforest.The collection contains regional maritime archives of the Northern Rivers of NSW, including an 1889 "Red Sector" light.
The museum complex consists of four historical buildings: the old Court House, the R.S.L. Hall, Boyd's (fishing) Shed and the Deck House of the drogher 'Terranora'. The museum's collection is housed in the Soldiers Memorial Hall and contains an interesting array of maritime artifacts and photographs.

The old Court House contains the Resource Centre which has a rapidly growing collection of historical material available to the public. The Court House also contains the Photographic Gallery which has an impressive array of old prints of the Tweed and Twin Towns area.The museum's collection...
Currently, the collection comprises of historic lighthouse (complete) which was relocated from Pine Islet in the Percy Isles. The restoration of the lighthouse to full operational status on its present site was completed in late 1995, and formally opened on 20 January 1996.