Childers Pharmaceutical Museum

Apothecary Thomas Gaydon arrived in Childers, Queensland in 1894. He established Gaydon's Pharmacy (1894-1982) and became the town chemist, dentist, optician, veterinarian, anaesthetist and photographer. Gaydon's building is now the home of the Childer's Pharmaceutical Museum and still contains the beautiful cedar fittings, ground glass bottles with gold leaf lettering, leather bound prescription books, Wedgwood mortar and pestles, early pill making machines and old medicine labels. The original cash register (1906) still sits on the red cedar counter. This collection spans one hundred years of pharmacy and related fields. Thomas Gaydon and succeeding chemists left a legacy that will enthral all visitors. For anyone who can appreciate the workmanship and character of the past and especially those who remember the blue bottle of castor oil.

Address: 
90 Churchill Street, Childers, QLD
Tel: 
071261994
Hours: 
8.45am-4.30pm Mon-Fri, 8.30am-12noon Sat
Admission: 
Adults $2.50, children $1.50, family $8
Facilities: 
Wheelchair access, toilets nearby, regular tours, museum shop, coach tours and school groups welcome
Collection: 
25,000 items plus photographs
Share

Items

Cash register

Creator:
National Cash Register Co.
Description:
National cash register (1906) cast iron/timber. Base: 76cm by 44cm.
Date:
1906

Prescription books

Gaydon's Pharmacy Records

Description:
Leather bound, marbled edged prescription books with copperplate writing, alphabetically listed surnames.
Date:
1903-1970

Pill maker

Description:
Rosewood and brass rolled pill maker.
Date:
circa 1900

Apothecary bottles

Creator:
British Drug House
Description:
Approximately 1,000 ground glass apothecary bottles with original contents.
Date:
circa 1890-1935