James Cook Museum

The museum is located in the former Sisters of Mercy convent erected in 1887-1889. Following restoration by the National Trust, the James Cook Museum was opened in 1970. A $2.3 million Commonwealth Federation Fund grant in 2001 has enabled a rear Gallery extension to be added and the interior displays updated.The new Endeavour Gallery contains the original anchor and cannon from Captain Cook's ship "Endeavour", plus detailed items relating to Cook's extended stay in Cooktown in 1770.The museum also contains other items from Cooktown's early history.

Address: 
Cnr Helen and Furneaux Streets, Cooktown, QLD
Tel: 
0740695386
Hours: 
Daily 9:30am - 4:00pm.
Admission: 
Adults $5.50, Children $1.65
Facilities: 
Toilets, Museum Shop, Limited Wheelchair Access.
Collection: 
Photographic collection of approx 2,000 photos. Artefacts from early Aboriginal and European life in this region, major component of the collection as well as limited collection of Chinese artefacts and maritime history.
Share