New South Wales

New South Wales

Merriwa Colonial Museum & Historical Society

The Museum is situated in an old stone cottage of 4 rooms, one of the oldest buildings in town, having been built between 1847 and 1856 as a private residence. It was used as a bank by a number of banks from 1871 to the 1900s.

Norfolk Island Museum

The European settlement of Norfolk Island was founded in 1788 and the history of the island's European development has strong links to the Colonial development of NSW and Van Dieman's Land.

Grafton Regional Gallery

There are three exhibition galleries within the Grafton Regional Gallery - historic Prentice House, Main Gallery and The Loft. Major additions and renovations were completed in 1999.

Glenreagh Memorial Museum

A diverse collection of artefacts used in the Orara Valley over the last 125 years. The display is housed in two sections attached to the Glenreagh School of Arts, and the staff are well versed in local history.Over 600 items

Cooma Cottage

Cooma Cottage was the home of Australias first native born explorer Hamilton Hume. Architecturally the house is a fine example of several forms of early colonial building.10 pieces of original Hume furniture in the 160yr old restored home of Hamilton Hume.

Mary Boulton's Pioneer Cottage & Museum

Mary Boulton's Pioneer Cottage is a replica of an early settlers home with furnishings appropriate to the era. An outside shed displays a buggy, ploughs and farming tools and implements.Approximately 1,000 items

Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery

The Broken Hill Regional Art Gallery is the oldest regional gallery in New South Wales, being established in 1904. The Gallery houses the famous Silver Tree, which was produced in the 1880s for Charles Rasp, founder of BHP and discoverer of Broken Hill.

Sulphide Street Station Railway and Historical Museum

The Railway Museum is run by a voluntary trust and consists of two acres of land in the centre of Broken Hill. The original stone railway station building of the Silverton Tramway Company of 1905 is full of old records and photos of the company's operations from 1888 until 1970.

Narrabri Old Gaol Heritage Centre

The museum is housed in The Old Narrabri Gaol which is listed on the National Estate Register and classified by the National Trust. Exhibits are mounted in the cells, exercise yards and outbuildings.

Nandewar Historical Society Museum

Four Buildings (two over 100 years old) house clothing, household goods, some office equipment, machinery and tools used by past residents.

Sketchley Cottage Complex

Sketchley Cottage is a furnished slab cottage which was owned by a convict. A separate museum on the site houses heritage items, machines and a blacksmith shop.500-1,000 items. Emphasis on agricultural items hand made tools, linen and farm machinery

Endeavour Museum

The Museum is housed in the former Wollombi Court House (1866). The exhibits are of a wide variety and reflect everyday life in the area. There are item relating for farming and mining as well as many household items. A major part of the collection is devoted to clothing.

Hunters Hill Historical Society Museum

It is a fine example of a local history museum, well housed in premises attached to the Hunters Hill Town Hall, with objects displayed mainly in glass cabinets. The archives section is unfortunately very small, comprising shelving and steel filing cabinets.

Sexton's Cottage Museum and St. Thomas' Rest Park

Sexton's Cottage if a historic building within the grounds of St Thomas Rest Park. This is the former St Thomas' Cemetery, the first European burial ground on Sydney's North Shore. The cemetery was converted to a Rest Park in 1974.

Experiment Farm Cottage

Experiment Farm Cottage stands on the Colony's first land grant, Governor Phillip's reward to convict farmer James Ruse in 1791 for his successful farming experiment on this site. Colonial Surgeon John Harris bought Ruse's land in 1793 and built the existing Cottage in 1834.

Albury Regional Art Gallery

The Albury Regional Art Gallery is housed in a renovated building which was the former Town Hall, built in 1908. It is a splendid example of late Victorian 'wedding cake rococco'.