Our Nyngan Inside Story

Museum is situated in the historic railway station dated 1883. Centre of Nyngan, on the Mitchell Highway, group visit, ex. School's various clubs, meeting place. Audio system's with pioneer tapes. Video on 1990 flood. Reading machine with old local paper dated from 1898 to 1994. Girilambone copper mines display, of types of ore and working. Barber shop. Bob Giddy from 1904. 1969 flood photo and history.

Address: 
97 Cobar Street, Nyngan, NSW
Tel: 
68321052
Hours: 
51/2 days 10am - 4pm, will open on request
Admission: 
$2 Adult, 50c Children
Facilities: 
Guided Tours
Collection: 
History of Nyngan in writing. Photographs, 2 audio, room, tape record.
Share

Items

Buggy

Horse Drawn Buggy

Creator:
Coach and ship builder of Bourke
Description:
Built in 1880 4 wooden wheel, twin set, seat 4-6 people. Single horse drawn four wheel buggy, steel spring, wooden wheel and frame, 2 Vininal seat with back's. Front wheel smaller than back.
Date:
1880-1945

The buggy was stored at Brooklyn until 1997 when Rodney Inglis, grandson of the Singleton family generously placed in the museum on permanent loan. He also has some photographs of Brooklyn and buggy which he also will donate

Model display

Girilambonc Copper Mines

Creator:
Straits Mining pty ltd and Nord Australex Nominees pty ltd
Description:
Clay model and photographs of full area of mines and samples of ore
Date:
1875-1917

Venture between Straits mining pty ltd and Nord Australex Nominees Pty Ltd was formed in August 1992. Girilambone is situated in central NSW 45 km North West of Nyngan. Employs about 80 men and women, mostly from Nyngan and surrounding district. Approximatley 17 000 Tonn G per annum of 99.999% Copper.

Historical Reading Room

Reading Machine

Creator:
Northwest Microfilm
Description:
Display reading of old local paper's dated 1897 to 1996. Microfilm, microfiche, portable with desk top, image rotation, with several options to full fill exact requirements.
Item Id Number:
2020a

Bought from State Library ten years ago for $500. It has been stored in a 2 storey Town Hall, until the Historical Society joined as one body, at the Nyngan museum in June 1994. 16mm Roll Film Reader.

Display

Nyngan 1990 Flood

Creator:
Museum Committee
Description:
Video, Photographs, Sand Bags, Audio Systems, Stories of flood experiences.

Flood Information in book - scrap book "Nyngan in the Bogan, Stories of Peoples Experiences", compiled by Karen Boyd. Also, eight minute video by Alan Sergent who had lived here for many years, now in Sydney.

Hand Painted Honour Roll

Honour Roll

Creator:
Mrs Ethel Parson's (Born Nyngan 1885-1969 aged 89)
Description:
5.5 ft wide, 3.5 ft depth. Divided into 3 - each section has a glass front, names of local men enlisted in World War I 1914-18
Date:
1919

Ethel White born 1885, married John Parson 1924, a very talented women - artist, eloquent orator, a leader in many organisations. Prepared the address of welcome to the Prince of Wales (late George VIII) who visted Nyngan in 1920 - and is preserved in the "gift room" at Buckingham Palace, London.