Blue Mountains Historical Society Inc

The Blue Mountains Historical Society's premises are on the site of a 50 acre grant of land to John McLaughlin, a Sydney solicitor and member of the Legislative Council in 1879. This historic cottage, "Tarella", which was built by him in 1890, is the oldest cottage on the northern side of Wentworth Falls. The cottage rooms are set up in the period of the early 1900s with many items belonging to the McLaughlin family, who were the sole owners prior to the BMHS ownership in 1988.

The modern premises consist of the Research Centre, which holds over 10,000 local records of people, places and activities of the Blue Mountains, and over 4,000 historic photographs. The Research Centre provides facilities for people to do their own research, or research can be done by our Research Officer for a fee. There is also a meeting room which houses a photographic display and historical items, and a small area for providing refreshments.

Address: 
99-101 Blaxland Road, Wentworth Falls, NSW
Tel: 
0247573824
Hours: 
10am-2pm Tuesday and 10am-12pm Fridays (research centre); 10am-4pm 4 designated weekends (Tarella)
Admission: 
Adults $3, children 50c
Collection: 
Over 10,000 local community archival records; over 4,000 photographs of the Blue Mountains from 1865; over 1,400 artifacts from an early 1900s household, including some farming equipment.
Share

Items

Cottage

Historic Tarella Cottage

Creator:
John McLaughlin
Description:
John McLaughlin was awarded a 50-acre grant in 1879 in recognition of his services in the Volunteer Reserve. He built the cottage as a summer residence for his wife and four children. The grant is adjacent to Sir Henry Parkes and R. M. Pitt.
Date:
1890

Photographs

Creator:
Caney, Kitch, Phillips
Description:
All obtained via the Bennett Collection.
Date:
1865 - mid 1920

Blue Mountains

Cribbage Board

Creator:
Sir Henry Parkes
Description:
Sir Henry Parkes was an ivory turner by trade and this board was made by him. It has ivory insertions. Donated in 1987.
Date:
c1880
Item Id Number:
Y484

Spike

Pick used in roadwork

Creator:
Probably convict-made
Description:
Stamped on the side of this spike is the date 28 Sept 1807 and the numbers ?? 9857. It was reputed to have been found at Mount York during the construction of the St West Road in 1813.
Date:
Dated 28 Sept 1807

Medal

Military Cross

Creator:
King George V
Description:
Capt Geoffrey McLaughlin, second son of John McLaughlin, left Sydney bound for France in October 1914 with the first contingent. He was a member of the 1st Battalion Light Horse and was awarded his MC "for continued good work".
Date:
1916